Aug 9, 2013

Christmas in July

Our Christmas dinner held at the end of July (sorry for the tardy post), I'm happy to report, was excellent! We woke up to a beautiful frosty morning which I think set the scene for the whole day.



Mr L'Orange and I had prepared some of the courses in advance and were feeling pretty on top of the organisation for our 12 person Christmas dinner, how deluded we were!


We were busy in the kitchen from 1pm on the day with guests arriving from 4.30pm so it was the usual hectic race against the clock, with us feeling like we were filming an episode of 'My Kitchen Rules.'


I was still picking holly in my welly boots just before the guests arrived, so my top tip for anyone hosting a Christmas dinner is to get more done in advance! 



Highlights were having mulled wine around the bonfire in the garden then sitting down at the candlelit table in all its decorated glory. 


Mr L'Orange and I had never done turkey before or stuffing or pudding so it was a small miracle that every dish turned out really well. 

Here is a our Christmas in July menu:


Prawn Dumplings with Dipping Sauce
Leek & Blue Cheese Tarts

Sweet Potato & Bacon Soup & Crusty Bread

Roast Turkey with Stuffing
Chipolata Sausages wrapped in Bacon
Roasted Carrots, Parsnips, Pumpkin & Potatoes
Red Wine Gravy
Redcurrant Sauce

Christmas Pudding with Custard & Vanilla Ice Cream 

As usual, I was so engrossed in the cooking and serving that I failed to get good pictures of the food but you can use your imagination.

Mr L'Orange snapped this image just as my mouth was full.
Everyone agreed, it was so nice sharing a lovely evening with friends and non of the usual stress, drama and driving that typically accompanies Christmas. We will definitely be doing another one next year!






No comments:

Post a Comment